No highlights this week I’m afraid (mainly because the only footage worth seeing was the two goals we conceded!)

With 4 games in hand but only a couple of points separating the teams, this was an important must win game for the Chesh’s promotion hopes. Robert Midghall’s team selection remained heavily depleted through injury, meaning options on the bench were limited. The pitch was also a leveller, with a surface more akin to the to moon and so bobbly it was a risk to try and play football.

Despite the pitch, the Chesh started the game well, keeping possession. The goal came from winning a ball in our own half, before Marty Hints played a lovely ball into Karl Brown. Last weeks MOM played a smart ball into Sam Dickson, who held off his defender to tuck the ball into the net.

Further chances which fell to Brown, who narrowly shot wide from the edge of the box and Dan Mulvihill could have seen the score 3-0 heading into the break.

A strong Ellesmere Port team, who had the advantage of being familiar with the pitch, grew in dominance over the course of the second half as tired legs became a factor. The Chesh began to struggle to find any rhythm to their usual passing game on the difficult surface, and were left having to rely on longer balls, but with a forward line unaccustomed to that playing style, it understandably failed to stick and Ellesmere Port just came right back.

With a lack of fully fit options on the bench, Midghall was restricted in tactical options. As Ellesmere grew in confidence, so too did the number of chances. After hitting the post, they eventually brought themselves level when an attack from the right was slid in for a shot that was cruelly deflected off Steve Wynne and past the wrong footed Nat Midghall.

Less than 10 minutes later Ellesmere took the lead as a cross from the right hand side looped over the keeper and was met at the far post to be turned in.

The Chesh struggled to find any rhythm in response and chances were restricted to long range efforts from the edge of the box.

In the end the score was perhaps a fair reflection of Ellesmere’s dominance in the second half, but the Chesh will be rueing missed chances in the first half and heavy legs.